Living with chronic widespread pain, fatigue, memory problems and mood changes is something patients with fibromyalgia and arthritis deal with in their day to day lives. Characterized as a group of symptoms affecting numerous body parts and functions, fibromyalgia has no known cause but many symptoms. Aside from helping patients deal with their chronic disorder, we here at Classic Rehabilitation, Inc. believe that a patient who plays a proactive role in their self-management has a successful treatment outcome. Improving sleep by utilizing sleepy hygiene and sleep quality techniques along with being physically active and reducing stress will help a patient’s overall mood affect. Moreover, relaxation is one of the most important aspects of controlling the pain associated with arthritis and fibromyalgia. To do so, engaging in aquatics therapy is a great way.
Aquatics therapy allows for the warm water to provide sensory stimulation encouraging relaxation and stress relief. We combine warm water with a deep penetrating massage system reduces pressure which causes stress and pain on a patient’s aching muscles and joints. When a patient walks on the underwater treadmill or exercises against the resistance jets can help manage the patient’s pain. As the patient stands chest deep in the water, their body becomes 80% weightless with only 20% bearing weight. During this time the weightlessness will significantly diminish the stress and pressure the patient experiences on their muscles and joints. There is a lot of scientific research that shows immobility does not improve a patient’s symptoms related to arthritis and fibromyalgia.
From our experience with our patients and knowledge of how to apply aquatics therapy, we have created a list of benefits for the patients suffering from arthritis and fibromyalgia:
- Relaxation – moderate patient’s overall stress on their body due to the hindrance of the constant pain they are experiencing,
- Increased joint range of motion (ROM) – improving ROM, all in all, improves the patient’s ability to complete their daily activities,
- Pain relief – help the patient feel some ease,
- Enhanced mobility – so the patient has the ability to have a better quality of life,
- Improve flexibility – something many patients miss with their diagnosis,
- Improved strength – helps slow down or prevent atrophy of the muscles,
- Remove weight from the joints and bones,
- Decreased side effects of any medications and post-surgical procedures.
If you are a current patient or potential patient, then contact Classic Rehabilitation, Inc. today for your Aquatics Therapy for Fibromyalgia and Arthritis inquires. We are conveniently located in Arlington, Bedford amd Grand Prairie; providing our patients with full service physical therapy physicality with aquatics therapy and more.